Power Supply and Traction Arrangement|Switching on| and off|of traction and power supply distribution|Emergency Trip System|where provided|Arcing and Fire|Inspection and maintenance of electrical way and works|Issue of Caution Order|Protection of the trains in case of Traction system failure or breakdown|Permit to work adjacent to or involving Electrical equipment
Metro Rail Power Supply and Traction Arrangement
Power Supply and Traction Arrangement :- Switching on, and off, of traction and power supply distribution (1) All traction and power distribution systems shall remain live at all times and shall only be switched off when necessary for maintenance of the equipment or protection of other maintenance activities.
(2) Traction supplies shall be switched on and off as per instructions of the Traffic Controller: Provided that in case of emergency after giving information to the Traffic Controller, Traction Power Controller shall be authorised to switch off the power.
(3) All traction and power distribution systems which have been switched off shall be adequately earthed before any maintenance or repair work is undertaken.
(4) All maintenance work on high tension distribution network shall be undertaken with the permission of the Traction Power Controller who shall ensure maintaining adequate power supplies for the operation of the Metro Railway network under the condition prevailing at that time.
(5) Emergency Trip System, where provided – (a) The Emergency Trip Switches will be used for switching off the traction power supply on the line of the particular sections near the Emergency Trip Switch in case of any emergency;
(b) The Emergency Trip System switches are installed at each end of platform in stations, at station control rooms and at cross passages in tunnels. After activating an Emergency Trip System an individual signal is sent to Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition system, and according to a tripping scheme and logic provided, the Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition system shall switch off relevant circuit breakers and send signals to indicate that the track section is de-energized.
Access – (1) All points of potential access by the metro railway employees or public to high voltage equipment shall be kept locked and suitable warning notices displayed therein.
(2) All switch gear and other high voltage equipment shall be fenced off and shall be accessible only to authorised staff and access to the live equipment shall only be permitted when the equipment has been switched off and earthed as laid down under
(3) No person shall work on high voltage equipment, or DC traction equipment or switch such equipment by local control unless he is properly trained and certified to perform such duties and possesses a valid certificate of competency and he shall also obtain the permission of the traction power controller before undertaking such work and the procedure for obtaining; granting and cancelling of such permission shall be laid down in special instructions.
(4) No person shall work closer than two meters to a live conductor.
Arcing and Fire – (1) If any member of staff observes fire, smoke, arcing or fusing in the vicinity of the overhead line equipment or third rail equipment, as the case may be, he shall inform the Traffic Controller or Station Controller as quickly as possible and request power to be switched off from the section of the line.
(2) The Traffic Controller shall instruct the Traction Power Controller to switch off the power to that section of line before taking further action to investigate the occurrence.
(3) The Traffic Controller shall also instruct the Station Controller at the nearest station to check if the fire or arcing has been extinguished.
(4) On the basis of report of investigation and confirming rectification of the fault, Traction Power Controller shall re-energise the section and may advise the Traffic Controller to resume train services.
Inspection and maintenance of electrical way and works – The electrical way and work shall be inspected and maintained regularly in accordance with the provisions of the Metro Railway Traction Manual and special instructions, by official nominated for the purpose and in accordance with the duties assigned to them.
Issue of Caution Order – In case of breakdown of overhead equipment, or third rail equipment, as the case may be, when it is necessary for a train to proceed cautiously, the Traction Power Controller shall arrange for issue of caution order in accordance with the procedure in force.
Protection of the trains in case of Traction system failure or breakdown – Whenever a Train Operator finds that his train cannot proceed further on account of Traction system failure or breakdown the Train Operator shall follow instructions laid down in sub-rule (2) of rule 50.
Permit to work adjacent to or involving Electrical equipment –(1) Works adjacent to electrical equipment or involving any parts thereof shall be carried out only by authorised employee of the Metro Railway.
(2) No works under sub rule (1) shall be undertaken unless an authorised electrical person has given a permit to work and in addition, nominated a qualified representative of the electrical branch of Metro Railway, where necessary, in accordance with the Special
Instructions, which shall lay down the detailed procedure of obtaining, granting and cancelling of the permit to work ensuring utmost safety.
(3) The Authorised Electrical Person shall not issue such permit to work without the consent of the Traction Power Controller who in turn, shall keep the Traffic Controller informed when train movements are affected. Whenever such work is likely to affect any other installations, the work will be carried out as per Special Instructions.
(4) Before commencing any work within two meters of Overhead Equipment or Third Rail or its associated cables and equipment, a permit to work shall be obtained from an Authorised Electrical Person.
(5) The maintenance and operation of Electrical Traction Installations in emergency conditions shall be carried out after obtaining permit to work as per procedure contained in Special Instructions.
Power Supply and Traction Arrangement, Switching on, and off, of traction and power supply distribution, Emergency Trip System, where provided, Arcing and Fire,Inspection and maintenance of electrical way and works, Issue of Caution Order, Protection of the trains in case of Traction system failure or breakdown,Permit to work adjacent to or involving Electrical equipment